Dear Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council,
Can you please provide me with the following information under the freedom of information act.
1. The number of Liability Orders obtained by WMBC/WBC/WC for the past six years. Please list the year and the amount for all six.
2. The number of Liability Orders served on the individuals named on them. This applies to all six years.
3. The location of any Liability Orders that have not been served on the named individuals. This applies to all six years
4. If any Liability Orders have been sold/ traded or transferred to any department within the Local Authority, third party or franchises, could you please list how many and/or the amount gained from the transactions. This applies to all six years
5. Can you please explain what procedures, protocols or safeguards you have in place to ensure that all Council Tax Liability Summonses and Liability Orders are correctly issued to people within the Borough. This would be your Due Diligence. As an example, if you issued a summons to someone who had died, been jailed or moved out of the Borough, what protocols or safeguards would pick up on this?
If any instructions, minutes or transcript of any kind exist detailing any of the above, I would like to see them.
Dear Mr Ratchford,
We are refusing this request under Section 14(1) of the Freedom of
Information Act, that the request is vexatious. Under Section 14(1) of
the Act we are entitled to not comply with vexatious requests and will
therefore not be providing you with the information requested.
In considering whether your FOIA requests are vexatious we have considered
the following questions as recommended by the Information Commissioner’s
1. Could your requests fairly be seen as obsessive?
2. Are your requests harassing the Council or causing distress to
3. Would complying with your requests impose a significant burden
in terms of expense and distraction?
4. Are your requests designed to cause disruption and annoyance?
5. Do your requests lack any serious purpose or value?
In accordance with ICO guidance you are not offered the opportunity for a
senior officer review. However, you can contact the Information
Commissioner, who is the regulator for Freedom of Information. His website
is www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk and his helpline number is 0303
Complaints and Information Team
Town Hall, Library Street, Wigan WN1 1YN
As a public body, the Council may be required to disclose this email or
any response to it under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 unless the
information in it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act.
This email together with any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom they are
addressed. The information may be covered by legal professional privilege.
Do not copy, disclose or distribute the information. If you are not the
addressee, please contact the sender and immediately delete this email and
Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now