Clinical Decision Support Systems in your organisation
Dear Black Country Partnership NHS Foundation Trust,
I am researching the use of clinical decision support systems used in NHS Trusts. As such I am making this request under the Freedom of Information Act (2000).
To assist you, what I mean by clinical decision support systems, these are stand alone or integrated software which helps clinical staff make safe decisions and take appropriate action. The can be algorithms, care plans, clinical referencing, or clinical condition specific guidelines which incorporate treatment or decision making.
Proprietary examples include:
• BestPractice (BMJ)
• ClinicalKey, ExpertPath, STATdx, Arezzo (Elsevier)
• DynaMed, DynaMed Plus, Isabel (EBSCO)
• First DataBank, Zynx (Hearst)
• IBM Watson, Micromedex (IBM)
• iRefer (MedCurrent)
• MedicinesComplete (BNF)
• LexiComp, UpToDate (WoltersKluwer)
• ThinkResearch (ThinkResearch Corporation)
To assist me with my research, could you please give me the following information please:
1. Does the trust operate any clinical decision support systems (examples above)
◦ If so, which ones?
2. What is the cost of licences (and any other support) the Trust paid on clinical decision support systems in the financial years 2017-18 & 2018-19
3. Has the trust developed their own electronic clinical decision support system(s)?
4. If so, what were the WTE and total funding costs incurred in development of their own clinical decision support system(s) for the financial years 2017-18 & 2018-19 respectively
5. What was the Trusts’ total operating budget for financial years 2017-18 & 2018-19 respectively
I appreciate the time you will give to this request and if you require any clarification please do not hesitate to come back to me.
Mr GM Bolguidhir
FOI 19-423 request regarding Clinical Systems
Thank you for your recent Freedom of Information request we are now investigating the nature of the search and the quantity of information requested. Under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act we will expect to respond to this request in 20 working days.
Please be aware there are a number of exemptions within the Act which could stop the release of information. The information will be assessed for these exemptions prior to us releasing the information to you. We will advise you if we are unable to provide the information requested and will confirm the exemption used.
In addition to this, please note that there may be a cost associated to your request in line with section 12 of the Act. If there is a cost associated with your request we will contact you and explain the cost.
In accordance with section 12 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 where multiple requests for information are received from one person or by different persons who appear to be acting in together in a single campaign the estimated cost of complying with any of the requests is to be taken to be the estimated total cost of complying with all of them. To this effect your requests for information will be dealt with under the single reference number above.
If you have any queries I would be grateful if you would contact me so that we can discuss the issues. Details of the complaints procedure will be sent to you should you wish to see them. Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.
If you are not content with the outcome your complaint, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the ICO cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints procedure provided by the Trust. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.
Information Governance Team
Black Country Partnership FT.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now