Dear British Broadcasting Corporation,
Under the Freedom Of Information act, I would like to request that you provide me with the total expected costs and savings to the BBC as a whole (such that expenses being transferred from BBC Monitoring to another BBC department are not counted as savings), associated with the closure of Caversham Park.
If possible, provide totals for one-off and ongoing costs and savings separately. If not, please indicate the period over which the one-off costs are being amortized in your calculations.
Please also state which factors have been considered in coming up with these totals
By way of example, one-off costs include (but are not limited to):
* Costs of moving or disposing of and replacing equipment (e.g. furniture, reception equipment)
* Costs associated with site disposal (surveyors and legal etc.)
* Excess fare payments and travel expenses for staff travelling into London
* Costs associated with a predictable loss of current staff and recruitment into their roles.
* Opportunity costs due to staff working on move-related activities instead of their normal work.
By way of example, ongoing costs include (but are not limited to)
* London weighting for roles moving into London
* Rent of new premises for Radio Berkshire
* Subscriptions to extra internet-based 3rd party TV signal providers (where these can no longer be received from satellites)
* Cost of space in NBH occupied by BBCM staff (share of maintenance of that space)
* Cost of space occupied by those who have been moved in order to accommodate BBCM staff in NBH
* Increased cost of collaboration with partner organisations currently based in Reading
By way of example, ongoing savings include (but are not limited to)
* Caversham Park site maintenance
* Subscriptions to satellite-based TV providers (for channels that cannot be received in London)
* Reduction in travel budget for customer service staff.
This is not a request for a detailed breakdown of the costs and savings (but if that is available, it would be welcome), nor is it a request for accurate costings that will only be known for certain after the move. This is simply a request for the totals that were used when calculating that this is an "effective way to demonstrate efficiency and ensure that more money can be invested in content".
Dear Roy Bland
Thank you for your request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, as detailed in your email below. Your request was received on 27/09/2017. We will deal with your request as promptly as possible, and at the latest within 20 working days. If you have any queries about your request, please contact us at the address below.
The reference number for your request is RFI20171437.
BBC Freedom of Information
BC2 A4, Broadcast Centre
201 Wood Lane
London W12 7TP
Email: [BBC request email]
Tel: 020 8008 2882