Dear Sir or Madam,
By letter of 30 September 2009, The Secretary of State Ed Balls appointed Maurice Smith to enquire into the "promotion of racism in schools". Part of the review is aimed at determining whether members of the British National Party (BNP) should be allowed to work as teachers or in the wider school workforce.
At present there are a number of measures and safeguards in place in place to protect children and young people in schools from racially motivated discrimination and the promotion of political doctrines that advocate discrimination and promote racist views. These are:
• The requirement on schools to have equal opportunity policies
• The duty upon schools to promote racial equality
• Their duty to promote community cohesion
• The duty on governing bodies, headteachers and local authorities to forbid the teaching of partisan political activities in schools
• The powers of the GTC (England) regarding suitability of registration and where teacher conduct could bring the profession into disrepute
I would like you to provide me with evidence of how effective these measures are including whether they are sufficient to maintain trust in the profession and protect children and young people.
Please provide the following information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
1) What evidence is there that schools’ equal opportunity policies are effective in combating racism?
2) What are schools in your area doing to promote racial equality and promote community cohesion? Examples of measures deemed to be good practice and recognised as being successful would be useful.
3) Can you provide me with any evidence that the measures listed above have been effective (if this has not already been done)?
4) Are further measures required to either maintain trust in the teaching profession or protect children and young people?
Solidarity Trade Union
Freedom of Information Act request - 2009/3063 - School policies to combat racism
Thank you for your request for information received on 17/12/2009.
This will be processed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Corporate Information Management Team
[Wandsworth Borough Council request email]
020 8871 8119IMPORTANT:
Confidentiality: This email and its attachments are intended for
the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to
you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy
or show them to anyone. Please reply to this email and highlight the
Please visit the Council's website at: www.wandsworth.gov.uk
Freedom of Information Act request - 2009/3063 - School policies to combat
I refer to your request for information relating to school policies to
combat racism received on 16^th December 2009.
Please find attached a pdf file containing the responses to your request.
Also attached is a copy of the Annual Report on the Quality of Education
Provided and Standards of Achievement in Wandsworth Schools.
I hope this information meets your needs. If you do not understand the
information provided or wish to discuss anything further, please feel free
to contact me and I, or another member of the team will be able to assist
Please note, all material provided by Wandsworth Council in response to
your request for information is for your personal, non-commercial use.
Wandsworth Council reserves all rights in the copyright of the information
provided. Any unauthorised copying or adaptation of the information
without express written confirmation from Wandsworth Council may
constitute an infringement of copyright. Any intention to re-use this
information commercially may require consent. Please forward any requests
for re-use of information to the FOI officer.
If you are dissatisfied with the information provided in relation to your
request you may make representations to the Chief Executive.
Correspondence should be addressed to:
Wandsworth Town Hall
Wandsworth High Street
If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have
the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a
decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner's Office
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.
Information Management Officer
[Wandsworth Borough Council request email]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now