ASSOCIATION OF PLAY INDUSTRIES - Public Play Facilities
Dear West Lancashire District Council,
2 years ago, we were hearing from our members that installations of new playground equipment were falling in England and that this was due directly to a lack of funding within local authorities. This worried us and our members at a time when Childhood obesity is increasing and there are more instances of divided communities. In order to quantify what was happening we commissioned a report which resulted in our #nowheretoplay campaign highlighting the extent of the problem. We believe it is now time to refresh our information and to once again highlight to government the problems resulting from a reduction in children’s play facilities. We would therefore urge you to support us in the FOI request.
1. How many public play facilities (including playgrounds, adventure playgrounds, skate parks, etc.) do you currently have available to the public in your LA area?
2. What was your total budget for public play facilities (including playgrounds, adventure playgrounds, skate parks, etc.) in each of the following years?
3. What is your expected total budget for public play facilities (including playgrounds, adventure playgrounds, skate parks, etc.) in each of the following years?
4. How many public playgrounds and play facilities were closed in your LA area and what proportion of your total play facilities did this represent, in each of the following years?
5. How many public playgrounds and play facilities do you expect will close and what proportion of your total play facilities will this represent, in each of the following years?
Data to be collated into excel spreadsheet.
This message is to acknowledge receipt of your communication. If your
request is a valid request for information under the terms of the Freedom
of Information Act 2000 it will be answered promptly and within 20 working
West Lancashire Borough Council as the Data Controller take the security
of your personal data seriously. We will only use the personal
information you give us for the purposes of providing an answer to your
freedom of information request. For further information
Ref No: 2018/547
Dear Mr Lubrano
Freedom of Information Act 2000 – Request for Information
Thank you for your email of 21^st August 2018 where you requested
information about Public Play Facilities
The information you requested is enclosed. If you have any queries
concerning the information provided, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Leisure Operations Manager
1. We have 52 individual sites within the Borough of West Lancashire
providing a variety of equipment to include fenced childrens play area,
multi -use games area, skateboarding, teenage shelter, gym equipment.
2. The total available budget for 2016/17 - £30,000
2017/18 - £30,000 (capital)
3. The expected budget for each of the following years:-
2018/19 - £30,000
2019/20 - £30,000
2020/21 - £30,000
4. The number of playgrounds and play facilities closed in the LA area
and the proportion of total play facilities does this represent in each of
the following years:-
2016/17 -0 = 0%
2017/18 -1 = 2%
5. The number of playgrounds expected to close and proportion in each
of the following years:-
2018/19 -1 = 2%
2019/20 -1 = 2%
2020/21- 1 = 2%
Should you be unhappy with the handling of your request you have the right
to request an internal review which should be directed to Simon Burnett,
Deputy Director, Leisure & Environment. Email address:
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now