Miss Zoe Allwood
11 November 2021
Dear Alex Smith,
Your request was received on 15 October 2021 and I am dealing with it under the terms of the
Freedom of Information Act 2000 (‘the Act’).
I would like to know the following information for each year about the new MPhil Population
Health Sciences (MPhil in PHS) from the date of start of this course.
1. Number of applications
2. Number of interview calls
3. Number of offers (total and Non-EU overseas) given
4. First degree (subject) of offer holders and their UK equivalent grade
5. Number of students with a prior masters degree (and the subject)
6. Age range of students (21-30, 31-40, 41+)
7. Number of students in the batch with scholarships
8. Number of students in MPhil in PHS from each of the Cambridge colleges.
9. Number of students who enrolled for PhD in Cambridge after completing MPhil in PHS and
their Departments/Faculty/Research area .
This course is running for the first time this year (2021-22). There is therefore only one set of answers.
2. This information is not held.
3. 116 offers, of which 86 were non-EU overseas offers.
The Old Schools
Cambridge, CB2 1TN
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 764142
4. This information is attached. We are unable to specifically identify their first degree so have included
all offer holders’ studies. Applicants self-report their previous studies and may not accurate.
Age range Count
Major source of tuition fees
No award or financial backing
Departments of Health/NHS/Social Care
Other HM government departments/public bodies
Overseas student award from HM government/British
Overseas industry or commerce
Provider own funds
Gonville and Caius
St Catharine's College
St Edmund's College
St John's College
Lucy Cavendish College 5
Sidney Sussex College
9. None, as the course has only started in 2021-22.
Please note the following regarding the data for Q5-8:
a. Data are as in the University of Cambridge’s student records system, CamSIS, as at 9
b. Q5: data are where the student has a recorded or derived highest qualification on entry as
follows, based on the QUALENT3 HESA coding frame (https://www.hesa.ac.uk/collection/c21051/a/qualent3):
MUK UK masters degree
MZZ Non-UK masters degree
M2X Integrated undergraduate/postgraduate taught masters degree on the
c. Q6: ‘age range’ is based on a student’s age as at their course start date.
d. Q7: specific scholarships are not recorded. The students’ major source of tuition fee (HESA
coding frame for MSTUFEE, https://www.hesa.ac.uk/collection/c21051/a/mstufee)
, is returned.
If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request and wish to make a
complaint or request an internal review of this decision, you should contact us quoting the reference
number above. The University would normally expect to receive your request for an internal review
within 40 working days of the date of this letter and reserves the right not to review a decision where
there has been undue delay in raising a complaint. If you are not content with the outcome of your
review, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the
Information Commissioner cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints
procedure provided by the University. The Information Commissioner may be contacted at: The
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF (https://ico.org.uk/)