London, SW1A 2AS
By email: email@example.com
FOI Reference: FOI2020/20418
Dear Kacey Montagu
I refer to your request where you asked:
“Freedom of Information request - Ministerial Red Boxes
Dear Cabinet Office,
My request is in relation to Ministerial Red Boxes, please answer the questions below:
1) How much did the Ministerial Red Boxes cost HM Government in 2019?
2) How many Ministerial Red Boxes are currently in use/active?
3) Once becoming a Minister, how does one obtain a Ministerial Box?
4) What guidance is issued to Departments for Ministerial Red Boxes? please disclose
some of the guidance.
5) Who is responsible for putting Government Documents in a Ministerial Box and
sending it to Ministers or the Monarch?”
I am writing to advise you that fol owing a search of our paper and electronic records, I
have established that the information you requested is not held central y by the Cabinet
Office. However, we have attached a letter of guidance in relation to your question 4.
If you have any queries about this letter, please contact the FOI Team quoting the
reference number above.
If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request or wish
to request an internal review, you should write to:
Eirian Walsh Atkins
You should note that the Cabinet Office wil not normal y accept an application for
internal review if it is received more than two months after the date that the reply was
issued. If you are not content with the outcome of your internal review, you may apply
directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. General y, the Commissioner
cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints procedure provided
by Cabinet Office. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
The Information Commissioner’s Office