Dr James Knapton
Information Compliance Officer
15 April 2019
Dear E Ocampo,
Your request was received on 20 March 2019 and I am dealing with it under the terms of the Freedom
of Information Act 2000 (‘the Act’).
please can I have the following information for the last 3 years in a microsoft excel form. Please
only include applicants for undergraduate courses.
1) The number of applicants from every school in the UK. If there are no applicants from a
school, then you may omit these in the report.
2) The number of successful applicants from every school in the UK for the last 3 years.
3) A breakdown of the subjects that students applied to study at Cambridge from each school
and how many of these were successful.
4) Which cambridge colleges students applied to study at from each school and how many were
5) what was the number of applicants and successful applicants to each cambridge college
segmented by Private School, Grammar School and State School.
6) The A level, IB and Pre U results of all cambridge applicants.
7) How many applicants did not meet their conditional offer. segmented by subject, student race
and Cambridge college.
8) List the department of each interviewer and the subjects that they interviewed applicants for
The information you have requested, insofar as it is held by the University, is refused under section
12(1) of the Act. You have requested a highly detailed set of statistical information that cannot be
sourced straightforwardly from a database and therefore would require the formulation of specialist
queries and reports in order for it to be generated. The University has estimated that the time required
to locate, retrieve and extract the information you have requested would considerably surpass 18 hours
of staff time charged at £25 per hour, and therefore that your request exceeds the appropriate limit of
The Old Schools
Cambridge, CB2 1TN
Tel: +44 (0) 1223 764142
Fax: +44 (0) 1223 332332
£450 as set out in the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees)
For the purpose of this application of section 12, the University has aggregated this request with your
other requests received on the same day as permitted under Regulation 5 of the Fees Regulations so
that the estimated cost of complying with this request is taken to be the total costs of complying with all
of them. The requests are so large and varied that we are unable to provide you with any reasonable
advice and assistance beyond directing you to our published statistics at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request and wish to make a
complaint or request an internal review of this decision, you should contact us quoting the reference
number above. The University would normally expect to receive your request for an internal review
within 40 working days of the date of this letter and reserves the right not to review a decision where
there has been undue delay in raising a complaint. If you are not content with the outcome of your
review, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the
Information Commissioner cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints
procedure provided by the University. The Information Commissioner may be contacted at: The
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF (https://ico.org.uk/)